Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Decade????

I'd swear it was just last week that I was posting a blog for Big Z's ninth birthday. And now, somehow, 365 days have whizzed by. Which apparently means I am the mother of a ten year old. Whoa! My head is spinning. It's dizzying trying to keep up with this growing child, but maybe I can share a glimpse or two.

Last week we were in the car, and with nothing else to do, Big Z began calculating his age out to the hundredths. He was quite excited to discover at that particular day and hour, he was 9.99 years old!

Yesterday I found a book that BigZ used to draw in several years ago. As I flipped through it, I noticed a drawing that looked rather like a double helix. I asked Big Z, "Do you know about the structure of DNA?" "Of course." he answered, in his duh! voice. "It's like a twisted ladder." Apparently he's known that for several years.

Big Z recently asked if I had any music manuscript paper. After I gave him some, he was quiet for quite some time. Later, I discovered that he had been writing a grade one piano instruction book. Just like the primers he learned with, Big Z's book introduces a new concept with each exercise. And he has composed some really catchy melodies!

Big Z's piano teacher was so proud of him after his recital this spring. He played Beethoven's Fur Eloise flawlessly. But she was even more excited about his performance of the Bach Prelude. It wasn't that he played it perfectly, no, he made a few mistakes. But his teacher was so impressed that when he lost his place (he was playing from memory), he just began improvising for a couple of measures. After that he picked up the melody again, and finished the piece without a hitch. The audience never had a clue.

Not long ago, I kept hearing bits and pieces about a certain sports figure, but I never caught the whole story. So I asked Big Z, "Who is A-Rod?" Big Z was surprised at my ignorance, but easily answered my question. Not only did he explain that Alex Rodriguez plays infield for the NY Yankees, he also rattled off several statistics. I could ask Big Z to type in the specifics, but as for myself, they have already left my mind.

Yes, Big Z is a sports fanatic. Some people have gotten a kick out of seeing a kid his age read the newspaper. As long as it's the Sports section, he reads it everyday.

Big Z played basketball at the Y last winter. It was exciting to see him progress. He spent many hours practicing in the gym while I taught classes. And he always keeps track of his stats, especially 3-pointers. During one game, I watched as he dribbled ungaurded toward the basket. I saw him eye the 3-point arc, and stop behind it. I thought he should have gone in closer for a better shot, but...SWISH! It was so exciting to see the ball fall through the hoop!

Yes, Big Z, you keep life exciting for us on a daily basis. We love you so much, and we are so grateful to have you as a part of our family. Happy Tenth Birthday!

5 Comments:

At Wed Jun 27, 05:02:00 AM, Blogger Peanut said...

Happy birthday BigZ!

 
At Fri Jun 29, 07:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog about the birthday boy. It's fun to know more about his talents and interests and amazing knowledge of so many things. Love to you all!
sph2

 
At Sat Jun 30, 03:21:00 PM, Blogger B said...

Great post Ree! Happy big 10 Big Z! What a great kid you are!

 
At Tue Jul 03, 07:22:00 PM, Blogger CAROLIONESS said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!

 
At Sun Aug 12, 11:45:00 PM, Blogger Princess Gerty said...

What a cool kid! Hope you had a great day, BigZ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home