Next Stop: Regionals
In 2007, Big Z won the spelling bee at our local homeschool co-op. He went on to the Smoky Mountain Home Educators Association bee, where he won 3rd place.
In 2008, Big Z won the spelling bee at our homeschool co-op. He went on the SMHEA bee, where he won 2nd place.
Last week, Big Z won the spelling bee at our co-op. He went on to the SMHEA bee today, and HE WON FIRST PLACE!
This means that he will compete in the Regional spelling bee at the University of Tennessee on February 28. The winner of that bee will go to the National Spelling Bee in Washington DC. Big Z asked me to buy him a thicker dictionary. He is planning to continue studying.
These are the words that he spelled today: ( I think I spelled them correctly, although the spellchecker doesn't seem to recognize them all.)
pretzel
dissect
mattress
anchovy
iguana
fletcherism
refugee
leotard
chalupa
megalopolis
ergonomic
metaphor
amicable
nougat
aggregate
zucchini
precocious
Fahrenheit
prerogative
euphemism
exacerbate
sleuth
jaundice
adjoining

12 Comments:
Way to go Zac! You are sure a great speller, over and over again. Love you lots. Grandma & Grandpa H.
Woah!!!! I bet SuperZ even knows what all those words mean, too, and I'm sure I can't say the same for all that many folks!
um, what's fletcherism?
Fletch⋅er⋅ism
–noun
the practice of chewing food until it is reduced to a finely divided, liquefied mass: advocated by Horace Fletcher, 1849–1919, U.S. nutritionist.
Grandpa H.
He'll be competing against our very own Jack V. and he may have the advantage because I don't believe that Jack has been requesting a better dictionary.
Congrats!!! That is super cool!
Kep practiszing an yule spel jus as gud as ME! U learn them wurds!
That is fantastic! Congratulations and good luck!
Way to go Zac!!! We hope you go all the way. We would do our best to come cheer you on (very quietly of course).
Good work, Z. I'm glad you're getting a bigger dictionary out of it, too. (it's no fun when there's not many new words to learn from the dictionary!)
Ree, I just ignore the spell check. It doesn't even recognize words like "Henrichsen", "hyperglycemic", or "efflurage". I mean, really.
Awesome job, Z! Enjoy your new huge dictionary.
Also, is chalupa a real word? I thought the folks at Taco Bell just made that up.
you may not see this since im so late to respond, but AWESOME JOB!
Post a Comment
<< Home