Lisbon, Portugal
I was so excited about this trip, even before it began. Finally, a reason to get a passport. Finally, I stepped foot off of my home continent! I was not dissappointed.
The photos can't really do justice to the beauty of the tile work we saw in Portugal. It's an art form these people have been refining for centuries, long before this particular palace was built.
Another highlight I must mention was our trip to a Fado Restaurant called Bacalhau il Molho. I didn't think to bring a camera, after all it was just a restaurant....or so I thought. After we arrived, we discovered it was located in an ancient castle annex. There was actually a tunnel right behind our table, which used to lead to the castle. The food was very good, but my favorite part was the entertainment. Fado is traditional Portuguese music, sung by a soloist and accompanied by guitar. They are typically sad songs, sung very passionately. I was thankful that the custom for dinner music is different in Portugal than in the U.S.: Everyone stops talking and turns to listen to the musicians. Of course we didn't understand the words, but the singers were so talented, and sang with incredible expression and emotion. The ancient room was rather small, with domed stone ceilings, so the powerful voices just rang and filled the space completely. It was a tremendous experience. I would have bought a CD, but when I heard Portugal's most renowned Fado artist on CD, I decided a recording cannot do the Fado justice. If you ever get to Portugal, you've got to find a live performance.
On our way to this restaurant, Toby and I had the most memorable cab ride of our lives. Our cab left probably three to four minutes after our friends, who were heading to the same place in two other taxis. Our driver flew by those cabs, going maybe 60 mph down crowded, narrow, cobblestone streets. (Well, they call them streets in Portugal, but here we would call them alleys.) I was hanging on for dear life! When we arrived at the restaurant, there was no place to park. The driver barely slowed, but drove undeterred straight up the sidewalk right to the door. There were stone steps ahead, and for a moment, I thought he was going to drive up the steps too! The guy was crazy! Anyhow, the ride was so short, that at least the fare was cheap. And we had a good laugh when our other friends got there after us. Of course by then, we were safely out of the crazy man's taxi, and laughter was possible.
Oh yes, and I can't explain how wonderful this vacation was until you know these two facts:
- The trip was paid for by Toby's company, Edward Jones. And they really treat us well. We stayed at the Four Seasons, a beautiful posh resort. I could never have enjoyed it so well if I were the one writing the checks.
- It was just the two of us--Toby and I--without the kids. Our first trip alone since our honeymoon. I thought I might miss the kids, or feel guilty to have left them, but no. I really enjoyed the break. After all, my job is being a mommy. I've taken lots of trips and enjoyed them with my children, but even on those trips, I was still on the job as mommy. So in a way, I felt like this was my first real vacation; in that I took a break away from my job. And I think it was good for us--the kids and I--especially considering how much time we spend together as homeschoolers. I know it was good for Toby and I. Quality time for two can be hard to come by in a home full of children. (As I'm sure you all realize.) So a week of adult conversation, rediscovering what we love about each other, was so welcome and rejuvenating. Thank you for a wonderful time, Hon!

10 Comments:
I am so happy for you guys!! Time away ALONE is very important for maintaining a strong marraige. I don't know how many times I have needed to talk to Daniel about something important and we are constanty being interrupted and losing our train of thought or it's so late by the time we have time to talk that we are too tired to concentrate. So GOOD for you for getting away and what a bonus to be able to go to such a beautiful place and have someone else pay the bills!
It sounds like a really fantastic trip! I recently found some of the tilework that D brought home from his mission, and now I have to find something to frame it so we can display it. It's simple but beautiful! I can only imagine how gorgeous the stuff in the castles/palaces there is!
Wow, that sounds amazing!! Yeah, cab rides in other countries can be...... exciting. Glad you were able to laugh about it afterwards. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip!!
Wow! That's so cool! Someday I want to go there too!
Hon and Hun, ya'll are cute. Plus: Wow! Those are some amazing shots. I'm adding Portugal to my "to visit" list.
What a wonderful opportunity for you. Thanks for sharing your trip and photos. Beautiful. LuvYa, Aunt Bbop
I am so glad you had such a great trip! I know what you mean about having a real vacation from being a Mommy. We took our first one alone a few years ago, and I loved it! I thought I would miss the kids more than I did. It is always hard to leave them, but it is very good to have a break.
Souds like you had a nice trip.
Cool trip!
Legend has it that Santiago (or St. James) himself went to Spain on his missionary journeys - certainly the Gospel in its purity could also have made it to Portugal.
Shana and I also saw a font in Carthage (North Africa) from the early Christian era.
I didn't know that you took this trip...How awesome!
Post a Comment
<< Home