Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Spirit

After watching the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional, I prayed to feel joy in the Spirit of Christmas. My prayer was answered, although not in the way I expected.

The joy of Christmas has hit me from a whole new angle this year. A friend died in a car accident last week. We've been mourning with his family, pondering God's plan, and discussing death with our children. Sobering to say the least, and yet...

This morning in church we sang Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I didn't need the hymnbook to sing along, but it was almost like I was hearing the words of the second verse for the very first time.

Hail! the heav'n born Prince of Peace!
Hail! the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all he brings,
Ris'n with healing in his wings.
Mild he lays his glory by,
Born that man no more may die;
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.

Hark! the Herald Angels sing
Glory to the new-born King.

Hopefully it doesn't take a friend dying to see the beauty of these words. This is the Good News of the Gospel! Death, the one common experience of all mankind, the fearsome and inevitable end, is not an end at all. My friend is alive! Impossible as it may seem to imagine him walking through the door right now, it has happened. Jesus Christ walked and talked with his friends after his death. And His resurrection opened the door for the rest of us to overcome death as well. What a marvelous miracle! And what greater joy than to have that knowledge!

I am so grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ, and for this time of year in which we celebrate His birth. I know that He lives. With the angels, I rejoice and sing of His glory! May the spirit of Christ fill your hearts with peace and joy this season, and throughout the coming year.

Love to all, Merry Christmas!

4 Comments:

At Fri Dec 21, 07:44:00 AM, Blogger Lady said...

Thank you for sharing those beautiful thoughts. It is true that this time of year we are so distracted by the "Chrismas Season" that we don't focus on the beautiful messages of the Savior. I am so sorry for your loss and I pray for you and your friends family.

 
At Fri Dec 21, 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Thank you.

 
At Fri Dec 21, 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Emmy said...

It's amazing when you find new hope and meaning to something you have always known or heard.

 
At Mon Mar 10, 07:25:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for touching my heart here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home