Way To Go, Toby!
Twice a year, Toby's company sponsors an incentive contest for the Investment Reps. Anyone who wins the contest gets an all expense paid vacation for two to one of several exciting locations. This year, Toby worked really hard and won both contests! So we get to take a family trip for four! (Luckily Emma is still free.) We are very excited!
Here is the puzzle: We could go to Beijing, China during the third week of July. Obviously a thrilling, exotic location, but we would miss the Henrichsen Reunion. The other choice is to go to Jasper, Alberta during the fourth week of July. While the destination may not seem as exciting, choosing this option could have significant financial advantages. We could probably tack on a six-day layover in Salt Lake, thus getting plane tickets for Reunion at little or no personal cost. I'm sure there are great things to see and do in Jasper, but how often does a person get a chance to go to China? It would be my first opportunity to step foot on another continent. Of course, it would be a bummer to miss Reunion.
Thrill or thrift? What would you do?

14 Comments:
I vote thrift!! But, I do have ulterior motives. Love ya what ever you choose.... Toby could win China again!
We'll since I'm not planning on going to reunion I would have to say take the chance to go to China. Though one of the things that I'm going to miss the most while on a mission is the family reunions. So I don't know if I really helped.
Oops. I wanted to have photos of Jasper and Beijing on this post. Apparently I was successful at making large rectangular links to photos of Jasper and Beijing. I followed the Blogger Help instructions. Maybe one of you could tell me why the actual photos didn't appear on my page.
perhaps it is because there are other things on the pages besides the pictures, but I don't really know that much about how it all really works.
China all the way. Sorry, reunion goers, but that's what I would do!
Try this for the photos:
1. go to the photo on the web
2. right-click and choose to save the image to your local desktop
3. login to blogger and edit the post
4. delete the big ol' placeholders
5. reinsert the photos by uploading them from your computer rather than linking to a separate website
I think what may be going on is that some websites deliberately prevent you from linking to their content without going through their site (for exactly this purpose--to thwart blogs from benefiting from their content without getting any of the traffic and therefor revenue for themselves).
Oh yeah. Also, nice job Tobey! I look forward to seeing the monumental growth on our (that is, Diana's) retirement account.
Plus, this blog looks different. Did you get a haircut?
I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone at reunion this year since I missed it last time, but gotta say if I were you, I'd probably go for China. Congratulations Toby!
Congratulations Toby!
I'm sad to say, that I agree with the other comments...China is quite the opportunity! We would definitely miss y'all if you don't come to Reunion, but also understand once-in-a-lifetime opportunities!
On the other hand, Canada (Alberta in particular)is beautiful in the summertime. And free airfare(or mostly free) is good too! Let us know when you decide!
I would say take the once in a lifetime opportunity and go for China. But, since I have not been able to attend your reunions for several years, I don't really have a vote. I am happy for your opportunity and echo the congratulations. Aunt Betty
Canada is nice. Reunion is fun. China...wow! I know what I want you to do but I am selfish.
I'd say China too. But better get working on those passports. Also, it might not be quite a once in a lifetime experience if Toby just keeps winning these contests! Congratulations!
If this is majority rules, looks like it's China, and I'd agree that it sounds more exciting than the alternative. But my question is then, where will we get together for Thanksgiving this year so that we don't miss out completely with together time? My house is always available (and that goes for anybody else near or far, too). Congratulations, Toby. We've always been proud to call you a Henrichsen! Mom
J says:
Families are forever; go to China!
M says:
Congratulations Toby! But I think I would still choose reunion, so that I could enjoy both opportunities.
I have been to China, and I have been to reunion, but I never had to choose between.
I would say go and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience, except AM you make a very good point about flight time ... I remember that 14 and 17 hour flights were L-O-N-G for me as a 23 year-old.
Post a Comment
<< Home