Sunday, June 14, 2009

He's Arrived!

Monday, June 8th. I wake up early and take a shower. I remember to wish my husband a happy birthday. Then we head to the hospital. From now on my husband will have to share his birthday with someone else. Good thing he is good at sharing.
I can still smile in this picture, because I am not in labor yet. The baby was actually due 10 days ago. June 8 was the date set by the Dr. Since the baby hadn't come on his own, it was time to be induced. I had wanted to give birth as naturally as possible, so at first the Dr. just broke my water. There were still not regular contractions after several hours, so we decided to start a slow pitocin drip around 12:30. At 1:00 contractions took on a pattern of every 2 minutes. And it just got faster and more intense from there. Our precious little bundle was born at 2:23 pm. I was able to labor and deliver naturally, without pain medication. It was a powerful and positive experience.

Our little guy weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces. He was 20.5 inches long. Here he is snuggling Daddy right after his first bath. Baby spent his first several hours awake and alert. On two occasions during these first hours, he began to fuss, but stopped and turned his head to the sound of my voice. Amazing to think this little stranger already knows me! That must be one of the best perks of motherhood: being an instant favorite to a little person.

BigZ, Schmoo, and MJ came to the hospital to visit in the evening. Everyone was excited to hold little brother. He was very calm and patient as he was passed around.

Back at home. The adoration continues. We feel very blessed.

Posted by Picasa

Labels:

11 Comments:

At Mon Jun 15, 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Christine said...

He is so beautiful!!!

 
At Tue Jun 16, 06:37:00 AM, Blogger Like Mike said...

Thanks for sharing! I love All y'alls!

 
At Tue Jun 16, 12:54:00 PM, Blogger ★♪♫¸.·*¨) Angie said...

CONGRATS I'm so excited for you!!!

 
At Tue Jun 16, 03:38:00 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the story and pics. TH is a cuties (as are the others!

B

 
At Tue Jun 16, 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Daisy said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing your family and the experience with us!

 
At Tue Jun 16, 08:41:00 PM, Blogger Lady said...

Congrats AM and T!! I'm glad the experience was a good one. I'll tell you - You Hen girls sure do have quick Labor and Deliveries - I am very jealous have become somewhat practical - I make sure the epidural is in early on to ride out my hours and hours of Labor.

 
At Wed Jun 17, 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations to the family of a possible future spouse for our Caroline...born 3 days after yours.

Oh, we are so blessed, aren't we?

I had no idea of the amount of adoration that could be spread around by three older sisters who want to be the mom.

If you have any tricks for refereeing the madness, let me know.

 
At Wed Jun 17, 02:16:00 PM, Blogger Boss said...

Congratulations! What a lucky baby, to be so adored. (Not that anyone could help adoring him. Look at him. That kid's adorable. That's all there is to it.) I'm glad it all went so smoothly and quickly. You're a trooper!

 
At Wed Jun 17, 07:56:00 PM, Blogger CAROLIONESS said...

Congrats! You are amazing!

 
At Mon Jun 29, 07:57:00 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Ann Marie its Donna! We had our baby the same day too. He was born at 9:12am. We were probably in labor at the same time lol!

 
At Sun Jul 05, 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Princess Gerty said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I hope you are still smiling an doing great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home