Polynesian Cultural Center
Did you see "The Blind Side"? "Who is that big black guy in your family photo?"
We went to the Polynesian Cultural Center on our last day on Oahu. There was so much to see and do there, it was a shame we didn't have more time to spend. The PCC was so much bigger than I had imagined. The center celebrates the customs of six island cultures: Hawaii, Tahiti, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, and Aotearoa (aka New Zealand). I may have forgotten one.
There was a parade of nations, of sorts, where dancers from each of the island nations rode out on canoes to entertain. I think this one was Hawaii.
After the canoe parade, we went to the various villages to try spear throwing, and fire making, Oh yeah, and we had to get tattooed. That was MJ's favorite, I think. Dad really enjoyed the village of Aotearoa--reconnecting with the culture of his missionary days. We went to a Luau, and watched them pull the roasted pig out the ground. The pork was good, but the poi was pretty tasteless. They say it's an acquired taste.
The show after dinner was really spectacular. Even Little Mr. T clapped his hands and danced along. If this movie of the firedancers works, I will feel very proud.

2 Comments:
Cool! I never wanted to go to Hawaii before, but now I'm thinking it might just be worth a little trip there? Y'all go on some fun vacations- we're probably going to Nauvoo the week of Memorial Day.... have you been there? Any tips? XOXOXO
I want to know more about MJ's tattoos! What did she pick? Did Dad get one too? I'd have liked to see that.
Post a Comment
<< Home